Summer is finally here! This is the time of year where kids happily retire their books and backpacks, in exchange for flip flops and bathing suits. But this is also a time of year that parents often dread because, for many children the summer months can be a time of boredom, filled with long hours of mindless video games and unimaginative television watching. Besides just having to endure the endless complaints of “I’m bored,” this lapse in learning can also have a negative impact on your child’s knowledge retention and preparedness for the following school year.
In fact, one research study collected by Johns Hopkins University’s Center for Summer Learning shows that children typically score lower on standardized tests at the end of summer than they did on the same tests taken at the beginning of summer vacation. A different study claims that, on average, students lose 2.6 months of grade-level equivalency in mathematical computation skills before going back to school in August or September. It’s important for parents to take steps now to ensure that their children don’t lose any of the ground they worked so hard to gain during the school year.
Here are a few tips and strategies from Club Z! In-Home Tutoring:
- Gear Up on Learning Materials such as books, games, flash cards, art supplies and writing materials. Commit to working, reading and playing with your child.
- Make Learning a Focus this Summer:
- Practice vocabulary and measuring skills while cooking or cleaning the house.
- Engage your child in planning a summer vacation with mapping, researching cities and learning history of various areas.
- Encourage your child to read the daily newspaper with you each morning or once a week.
- Take Your Child on “Field Trips” in Your Community. Visits to the library, museum, parks and even the beach can provide a host of learning opportunities.
- Enroll Your Child in an Educational Program. This will provide positive reinforcement to help build confidence and meet the needs of students who have a history of struggling in school.
Club Z! In-Home Tutoring offers affordable, flexible summer tutoring programs to meet the needs of any student in grades pre-K through 12. Our highly skilled tutors provide one-on-one instruction in the comfort and convenience of your home, around your busy summer schedule. Whether your child needs reinforcement of concepts from the previous school year, or wants to get a jump on the next school year, Club Z! has curriculum and instructional programs in place to help him/her succeed!
Summer tutoring with Club Z! will focus on:
- Rebuilding self-esteem that was battered by bad grades during the previous school year.
- Closing the achievement gap by helping students catch up and get ahead before the start of the new school year.
- Preparing high school students with the strategies, skills and confidence to take upcoming ACT and SAT tests.
- Enabling students to master benchmarks necessary for passing state reading, writing and math standardized tests.
- Allowing kids to explore and develop the skill areas they find interesting, such as art, music and foreign languages.
Don’t let your child become a TV-worshiping zombie this summer – instead, help them build their academic self-confidence through summer tutoring. When you get their first-quarter grades in October, you’ll be glad you did!
Click here to find the Club Z! location nearest to you – and ask about a FREE consultation!